Your Legal Rights at Work

Can You Be Sued If Someone Is Hurt On Your Property?

by Lewis Hamilton

You may not think that it's all that big a deal to let the neighbor kids climb your trees, jump on your trampoline, or swim in your pool. And probably 9 out of 10 times it is. However, if one of those kids gets hurt, you are at risk for being sued for their medical bills. 

Premises Liability

A homeowner has something called premises liability. That means that you are liable for any injuries that take place on your property. If the person who got hurt can prove that you were negligent or didn't take all due safety measures when installing a pool or setting up a trampoline, then you can end up being sued and paying their medical costs.

However, there are some things which can affect a potential lawsuit. One of those things is the status of the person who got hurt your property. 


An invitee is a person whom you have invited to your house so that they have direct permission to be at your property. That would include kids who have been invited to play with your kids. Invitees also include people who have implied permission to be at your house. That can include people like family members or close friends. As the homeowner, you have to provide them with reasonable care for their safety while they are on your property. 

If an invitee is injured while on your property by swimming in your pool, jumping on your trampoline or climbing your trees, then your duty of care has been violated and you can be held responsible for their injuries. 


A trespasser is someone who has no permission to be on your property. That includes kids who aren't friends with your kids and are on your property even though you have told them repeatedly to stay off your property, or people who go door-to-door selling or seeking information. It also includes burglars or other people who are seeking to cause damage to your property. You owe those people no duty of care. If they get injured while on your property, you have little to no liability. 

If someone gets injured on your property and they decide to sue you, what you need to do is visit a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law, such as those at Bishop Dorfman Kroupa & Bishop PC. It can be a tricky situation and only a lawyer who knows this property law can help you fight this kind of case.